Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Special Education?  Special education is specially designed instruction that addresses the unique needs of a student eligible to receive special education services.  Special education is provided at no cost to parents and includes related services a student needs to access her/his education program.

Students with disabilities who are determined eligible for special education and related services are entitled to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE).  Services are provided to eligible students according to the Individualized Education Program (IEP) in preschools, elementary, and secondary schools.

How do students qualify for Special Education?  There are 13 categories under which students may be eligible for services.  For a student to be eligible for services, the disability must significantly affect their educational performance.  The disability categories are listed in the IDEA (Individual Disabilities Education Act):

  • Autism                                               
  • Deaf/Blindness                                   
  • Developmental Delay                          
  • Emotional Disturbance                        
  • Hearing Impairments/Deafness                      
  • Intellectual Disabilities                        
  • Multiple Disabilities
  • Orthopedic Impairments
  • Other Health Impairments
  • Specific Learning Disabilities
  • Speech or Language Impairments
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Visual Impairments

Having a disability doesn’t automatically qualify a student for Special Education Services.  Students must meet all three of the following criteria:

  1. The student must have a disability or disabilities.
  2. The student’s disability/disabilities significantly affect educational performance.
  3. The student’s unique needs cannot be addressed through a traditional classroom setting, even when given individual accommodations.

What Related Services does Chief Leschi have to Offer?  Related Services are services that assist students with a disability to benefit from Special Education.  Chief Leschi offers Speech-Language Pathology and  Occupational Therapy services.

How can I help my child if she/he are experiencing difficulties in school?

  • Talk with your student’s teacher(s).
  • Encourage your student to ask questions.
  • Help your student at home.

Additional Information on Supporting Your Student During Distance Learning:  Seven Parent Tips For Supporting Remote Learning

If there are questions regarding the Special Education Referral Process, please contact the Special Services Department at (253)445-6000.